Monday, July 18, 2011

New Program, New Word Walls

Now most of you know I am a second grade teacher and use my Cricut in the classroom on bulletin boards, for different activities, and all sorts of other things.  Sadly, I always invest the time to create and put up my bulletin boards but I never take any pictures of them.  I made a fantastic banner that says "Welcome to B-8" but I still have not taken a picture.  Maybe I will this year once I hang it back up.
Well last year, we piloted a phonics program called Fundations.  I was familiar with the program because I taught it during my student teaching in 2003-2004.  Well the first year went very well and we agreed to keep the program and adapt our weekly spelling program to coincide with the phonics units.  Basically that means a new phonics program, a new spelling program, new spelling words, new word walls, etc. One big change creates a ton of work but we are providing students with fantastic learning opportunities so it's worth it. 
Basically, a word wall houses specific grade level words that can not be sounded out but must be memorized for the correct spelling.  Some of the words are they, beautiful, does, friend, etc. I can't tell you how many papers I look at that have thay, butiful, doze, and frend.  My students have access to words walls on their desk, the wall and can use traveling words walls while sitting at some of the  tables in the room.  In short, the whole grade level needed to create new desk word walls, large word walls, and traveling word walls.  Seeing an opportunity to create something new and pretty for the classroom I went to work printing out the adapted trick word list in a fancy font and then raided my scrapbooking supplies for colorful paper.  The following is what I created for my classroom and I can't wait to hang it up and share it with you in all it's glory.

I just love the colors!


















Of course, I couldn't resist added some pictures of my little man.  He was such a big helper as I tried to take pictures of the word wall.  All he wanted me to do was take pictures of him and then let him look at them.  Love that little guy!

 Notice he is sitting in front of the word wall!  Guess it's time for a haircut too!
He's trying to stand the word wall up on my little stand! Too cute!

Well as luck would have it, once I brought my word wall in and started laminating it, a friend of mine saw it and asked if I would make her one too and she would pay me.  In the end I ended up making seven of them for the whole second grade team. 

So..... if you are an elementary teacher using Fundations (or any other program) and are interested in my word wall, feel free to contact me at my new email address ktdesigns-katania@hotmail.com.  The price of the completed word wall including the non-fading thick weight card stock, letters, and complete list of words is $35.  Please note: this does not include laminate or shipping costs.

~Katania

No comments:

Post a Comment