Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Slow Roasted Tomatoes

Have you ever tried slow roasting cherry and grape tomatoes?
Oh My Goodness! These roasted tomatoes are the best thing ever!
I couldn't keep myself from just popping them in my mouth and eating almost all of them!  The flavor really intensifies with the slow roasting process and you are just left with a sweet flavorful tomato.  You've got to try them!

*I apologize but I was unable to find the exact recipe I tried in order to give proper dues so if you are that person or you know who it is please leave a comment so I can make sure I add your blog link.

Recipe:
Fresh (like right from your garden) cherry and grape tomatoes
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Pepper
Dried or Fresh Basil (optional)
Parchment Paper


1. Preheat your oven to 225 degrees (yes that low)
2. Cover two cookie sheets with parchment paper. 
3. Start cutting your cherry tomatoes in half and your grape tomatoes in half lenghtwise. (you want to make little cups with your tomatoes to hold all the yummy juices)


 4. Drizzle Olive Oil over your tomatoes.
5. Sprinkle your tomatoes with pepper, sea salt, and basil (you only need a little bit because the flavor is really intense without all the added spices)
6. Pop the trays in the oven for 3 hours!

Once they come out they look all shrived up but taste amazing.  Sadly, I forgot to take some after pictures and then the tomatoes were gone. YUM!  You can definitely eat them whole, mix them with pasta and some veggies, layer them on a toasted chabatta bread with cheese, or even use them on a sandwich.  They are so yummy and good for you too!

If you happen to have some more fresh tomatoes left over why not make my favorite salad with cucumbers, red onion, tomatoes, croutons (or crusty bread), and sometimes crumbled feta cheese.  I usually add some sea salt and pepper and a hearty drizzle of a good balsamic vinegar.
If you cut and add the first three ingredients to a bowl with the spices and balsamic vinegar, you can keep it in the fridge for a couple of days and then just add the croutons and cheese when you are ready to eat it.  This is my variation of a panzanella (not sure how to spell that) salad and it is so good.  You can also add some marinated artichoke hearts and kalamata olives too if you like those flavors as well. 

What do you like to do with your fresh tomatoes?

~Katania

No comments:

Post a Comment