Thursday, November 17, 2011

{Tutorial} Halloween Sensory Bin


During my Internet search for tot school, I came across a couple of websites that posted about sensory bins.  It seems to be a common activity for Montessori schools but thought it would be a fun, indoor activity for my little man.  I found some great ideas at Counting Coconuts and The Picky Apple and then went to Wal-Mart and Stop N Shop for more ideas.

 This is what I found:


Here's what's inside:
*2 bags of black beans
*1 bag of yellow split peas
*Pumpkin buckets
*Pumpkin ornament
*Ghost ornament
*Spider rings
*Glitter spider embellishments
*Glitter pumpkin embellishments
*Skeletons
*Sticky skeletons
*Stampers
*Bubbles
*Small sand shovel
*Large bin with lid



Here's the fun part!
1. Pour both bags of black beans and the one bag of split pea on the bottom of your bin.
2. Mix them together.
3. Layer your Halloween items both on top of and under the beans.
4. Give it to your child. (Monitor young children since there are many small items that are choking hazards)
5. Marvel at how long they stay engaged and all the fun things they do with the items inside.

Here's my little man enjoying his time with the sensory bin. 
I love how serious his little face is.



My little man loved filling the little pumpkin buckets up with the beans and then dumping them into his candy bucket.  Surprising, only a few beans escaped the bin since he was very careful to keep  everything in the bin and on the table.

I can't wait to make one for fall/Thanksgiving and then Christmas!
What items would you include for the
two holidays coming up?

~Katania

P.S. Stay tuned for a FREE PRINTABLE to use with this sensory bin!  It should be available this weekend:)

No comments:

Post a Comment